Friday 19 October 2012

My Running


I feel really sorry for the people in the first floor Central Services office. Who wouldn't?  They have Andy sitting right next door! Of course I am just joshing with you. Sorry Andy, had to throw that in there. All part of being your PA (aka Personal Annoyance).

In all honesty, I do feel sorry for them. Especially these last 3 months because they have had to listen to me go on, and on, AND ON. First they had to put up with daily updates on how my non-smoking was going along with the all-important stats from my quit smoking app. I’m surprised it was only Ellie that resorted to headphones.

To add to their pain, and thanks to Liz, I decided to sign up to do the Brighton Half Marathon to raise money for BHT. So no sooner had their ears stopped bleeding from the relentless “I’m still not smoking” self-assurances coming from my desk, the verbal diarrhoea quickly became all about running. Training schedules, pace, stride, hills, the sea wind, my running app, my Dad joining me on his bike, the best music playlists for running. Of course they were dying to hear all the details regularly, no?

I definitely owe them all dinner, because not only do they tolerate all of this on a daily basis they support me every step along the way. It has touched me more than they probably realise. I’ve found fellow running buddies and even a running sensei (Mr Miyagi) who has given up their time to help me progress so much quicker than I had ever imagined. These are the people I share the best part of my week with and they have been both my motivation and inspiration. It will be their faces I’ll be looking for when I cross that finishing line in February. Bring it on!

By Anna Thompson, Personal Assistant to Andy Winter, Chief Executive of BHT

No comments:

Post a Comment